Soon we'll be searching the glass wall for red. "Our tomato plants are growing an inch each day," says Joelle Lassareschi, Education Coordinator at Vertical Harvest, "and our bumblebees are busy pollinating. If they weren't here, we'd have to hand-pollinate each plant with electric toothbrushes!"
Vertical Harvest is projected to grow 100,000 pounds of food each year, including 44,000 pounds of tomatoes. By growing up, this 1/10 acre farm expands its growing area to the equivalent of 5 acres of land. Read here for more cool facts about how Vertical Harvest will do this using 90% less water than a traditional farm.
Ask for a taste of what's growing. I'll never forget how Marcy handed me a bunch of greens and I tasted them for the first time: Soft, tender greens with a powerful punch of pepper and spice. The taste of innovation, hard work and determination. A taste of the future of local food.
BLT Skillet Breakfast
Serves 1 or more, depending on the size of your skillet
- Warm olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add 2 generous handfuls of kale or any other fresh, sturdy green and cook until wilted. Add a handful of cherry tomatoes, cut in half, and cook down until soft.
- Make a well with a spoon to accommodate each egg you want to cook. Crack the eggs directly into the well.
- Sprinkle with crumbled feta and a few spoonfuls of leftover cooked and diced bacon.
- Cover and poach for 3-5 minutes or place in the oven at 375ºF until the eggs are done to your liking. Sprinkle with fresh herbs, salt and pepper to taste.