Sopa de Lima--the official soup of the Yucatan--is the perfect meal to follow Thanksgiving gluttony. It's simple and healthy, hearty and spicy, and makes good use of leftover turkey and stock.
Put the pot on the stove, and add 1 large quartered onion, 2 peeled and roughly chopped carrots, 2 bay leaves, 1 teaspoon of black peppercorns, and 1 tablespoon of tomato paste. Bring to just below a boil, and then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cook stovetop for another hour, or return the pan to the oven.
Strain the stock through a fine-mesh strainer or a cheesecloth. Taste, and add Kosher salt to your liking. Store in the refrigerator for 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months. Skim off any congealed fat, and cook up steaming bowls of Sopa de Lima to take the edge off the gray sleeting November skies.
For a printable version of the recipe, click on the file below it.
Sopa de Lima (Turkey Tortilla Soup)
- 2 cups shredded leftover turkey
- 4 cups turkey stock
- 1/2 grapefruit
- 1 lime, cut in half
- 1/3 white onion, finely chopped
- 1 serrano chili, seeded and deveined, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons canola
- 2 tablespoons canola or peanut oil (for frying)
- 4-5 radishes, sliced paper thin
- 1-2 serrano chilis, seeded and deveined, finely diced
- 4 tablespoons crumbled fresh Mexican cheese, such as Queso cotija
- 4 limes, sliced into quarters
- 4 corn tortillas (stale is good) cut into strips
- 2 avocados, sliced
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil until sizzling, and add the white onion and chopped serrano chili. Sauté until the onion is just turning brown, about 4-5 minutes.
- Squeeze juice from the lime and grapefruit into the pot, and then throw in the rest of the fruit.
- Slowly add the turkey stock and heat to a boil. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare all the toppings, and have them ready.
- Discard the lime and grapefruit from the pot, and add the shredded turkey. Keep over low heat while you prepare the tortillas.
- In a large frying pan, heat the peanut oil until it sizzles when a tortilla strip is placed into it. Fry the tortilla strips until golden, and set aside on paper towels to drain.
- Fill warm bowls with the turkey and broth. Serve with toppings on the side.