This is another of my mother's recipes; she always made rum balls at Christmas-time. They were strictly off-limits to children, which made it even more enticing for us to sneak these from the tin at the back of the refrigerator.
For a printable version of the recipe, please click on the file below it.
This recipe makes 3-4 dozen 1 inch rum balls. I usually double or triple the recipe so there is plenty to share. You can make decaffeinated rum balls by using decaffeinated coffee. You can also use whiskey instead, but then of course it wouldn't be a Rum Ball, would it?
2 cups vanilla wafer crumbs (1 box Nilla wafers yield roughly 3 cups of crumbs)
2 cups ground nuts (pecans or walnuts) (you'll need about 2 lbs. nuts)
4 Tbsp. cocoa powder
4 Tbsp. white corn syrup
1/4 cup rum (or more)
1/8 cup strong coffee
powdered (confectioner's sugar for rolling
- Place a box of vanilla wafers (such as Nilla) in a food processor and pulse to form fine crumbs. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Place 2 heaping cups of pecans or walnuts into the same food processor (no need to wash it), and pulse to form fine crumbs. Add to the Nilla wafer crumbs.
- Add the corn syrup, cocoa powder, rum, and coffee. Mix well.
- Roll into 1 inch balls. Roll each ball in powdered sugar that you have placed in a shallow bowl.
- Chill for 3 hours. Roll in powdered sugar again.
- Store in an airtight tin in the refrigerator. Share.