For a printable version of the recipe, click on the file below it.
To read more about my adventures in Ecuador, check out the upcoming issue of Dishing, Jackson Hole's new foodie magazine.
Lala's Hot Chocolate
Be sure to use good quality dark chocolate, with 65% to 75% cacao solids.
• 1 liter whole milk
• 5 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
• 3 oz. dark chocolate, grated
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 1 cup strong coffee (may be omitted)
• Sugar, to taste
1. Place whole milk in a heavy saucepan with a stick of cinnamon, and bring to just below the boiling point.
2. Whisk in the five tablespoons of cocoa, the grated dark chocolate, and the coffee. Combine well and whisk until frothy.
3. Serve in warm mugs with sugar on the side, one teaspoon or more to taste.