For a printable version of the recipe, click on the file below it.
Browned butter peanut butter Rice Krispie treats
This recipe is adapted slightly from Joy Wilson’s yummy book Joy the Baker.
• 1 10 ounce bag marshmallows
• ½ cup smooth peanut butter
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• 6 cups crispy rice cereal
1. Butter an 8-inch square baking pan. Set aside.
2. In a large, heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat until just browned. It will foam up and froth, and then browned bits will form on the bottom of the pan.
3. Whisk the browned butter and add the marshmallows, peanut butter and salt. Stir with a wooden spoon or spatula until smooth. Fold in the crispy rice cereal.
4. Turn the mixture into the prepared pan. Using buttered fingers or a piece of wax paper, press the mixture into the bottom and sides of the pan, and smooth over the top.
5. Let sit for 30 minutes, and cut into blocks.
6. Each bar will keep up to 4 days if well wrapped, but they won’t last that long!