For a printable version of the recipe, click on the file below it.
Chocolate Anise Biscotti
Makes about 2 dozen
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons anise seed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a large heavy baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Crush the anise seed in a mortar and pestle. Or place the anise seeds in a plastic bag, and crush a few times with a rolling pin.
4. Using an electric mixer, cream the butter with the sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time.
5. Add the anise seed, flour mixture, and the chocolate chips. Stir gently until just combined.
6. Form the dough into a 16 inch long, 3 inch wide log. Transfer to the baking sheet.
7. Bake for 30 minutes, or until light golden. Cool on the baking sheet for at least 30 minutes.
8. Transfer the log to a cutting board, and cut on a diagonal into ½ inch to ¾ inch slices using a sharp serrated knife.
9. Transfer biscotti cut side down onto the baking sheet. Bake until pale golden, about 10 minutes for chewy biscotti, 15-20 minutes for crispy ones.